Duke Regional Hospital believes that total patient care involves attention to the spiritual and emotional, as well as the physical needs of each patient.
Members of the pastoral care department are available to offer spiritual care, counseling, and emotional support to our patients, families, and staff. Our chaplains offer support using the spiritual or religious traditions of our patients and their families.
Services provided by pastoral care include:
- Spiritual and pastoral care and counseling
- Spiritual assessment, intervention, comfort, and nurturing
- Facilitation and support of religious practices of all faiths and spiritual paths
- Emotional support
- Non-judgmental listening
- Crisis intervention
- Advocacy for patients and staff
- Collaboration with all members of the health care team
- Consultations on advance directives, end-of-life decisions, and ethical issues
- Continued development of relationships with multi-faith leaders in the community who offer adjunct chaplaincy and referral-based spiritual and religious support
Request a Visit
The pastoral care department provides chaplain support 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Weekdays: A staff person on your unit may page the chaplain, or you may phone the pastoral care office at 919-470-5363 and request a visit from the chaplain.
Evenings and weekends: A nurse or unit staff person may page the on-call chaplain when a visit is desired.
Patients with life-limiting illnesses and their families need extra comfort and support.
The palliative care team of Duke Regional Hospital provides emotional and spiritual care as requested by the patient or family. The team also assists with management of pain and other symptoms, and communication with patients and family members.
For more information, contact the palliative care team at 919-470-CARE (919-470-2273).
Duke Regional Hospital Chapel
This sacred space, located in the lobby at the main entrance of the hospital, is open for prayer, meditation, and reflection for persons of all faiths, as well as for regularly scheduled services.
An ecumenical Christian service is held each Tuesday from 1:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
If you have questions about the chapel or services call 919-470-5363.
The pastoral care department uses volunteer clergy from our community who serve as adjunct clergy staff. Our adjunct clergy assist with evening and weekend on-call coverage and minister to the spiritual needs of patients throughout the week.
Internship opportunities are available for undergraduate students and seminarians to develop skills and experience in pastoral care in the hospital.
For more information on becoming a volunteer adjunct clergy chaplain or chaplain intern, please contact Reverend Lisa Brown Cole, Director of the Pastoral Care Department, at 919-470-8313, 919-470-5363, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, contact the pastoral care department at 919-470-5363.